Translate

Thursday 8 March 2012

STEVES ROMANIA BLOG 1 - SPRING

Spring is a hopeful time, the new sunshine and the warmth bring optimism and make the coming year full of promise.
It is a time full of smiles and a time full of optimism.
This is my first blog here, and I hope it will be the first of many about our lives here in Romania.
This is a country we love, and I hope that in some small way this blog will show others why we do love it so much. It is such a beautiful country, full of lovely people, and help to reverse some of the negative publicity the country and it's people get in the UK.
Our lives here in a small rural village are totally diverse to the lives we lived in the corporate world in the UK. We have spent the winter mostly just chopping wood for our fires. An absolutely essential task to keep ourselves and our loved ones warm, in complete contrast to just being able to press a button to be warm back in England. Although we still have some wood to chop to keep ourselves warm in the evenings, we don't have to spend so much time on it, so we can plan for the summer.
Our main aim this year, on top of continuing to repair and renovate the house, is to have our own kitchen garden and to build a greenhouse so that we can plant earlier next year and get ahead of the weather. We planted several fruit trees last Autumn, including apples, pears and plums, and we now have seedlings growing for spinach and lettuce to plant out under cloches when they are ready.
This is all so new for me. I had no interest in gardening in the UK, but I am encouraged and inspired by the friends who live around us, many of whom still live purely on what they can grow and breed to eat.
For those of you who do see my blog, I hope that you find it interesting. If there is anything in particular that you would like to know about, let me know and i will do my best to inform you.
For other information on what we are going to be doing here look at  www.volunteerromania.co.uk, or  www.holiday-romania.co.uk, and follow those blogs too.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think, it's always good to get feedback