Translate

Tuesday 14 May 2019

ROMANIA?????? WHY ROMANIA??????

After two years of inexcusable absence from Blogging it's about time to start again.

I have it in mind to compose a series of roughly chronological anecdotes taking our story right back to the very beginning of our exodus to Romania, all under the general title of...…..

……………………..ROMANIA????? WHY ROMANIA??????

II hope the answer to that question will become clearer but it is the question we are most often asked when a Romanian discovers that we have moved here permanently.


A large number of Romanians seem to simply want to leave this beautiful country which has so much to offer, but they can't see it. All they see is a 'better' life abroad in countries like France, Germany, Italy. Spain, the USA and of course the UK...…..until recently that is. Emigration to those countries has been in such high numbers that as a result Romanias' population has reduced over the years we have been here.


My standard answer used to be "Because life here is so real" (that will hopefully become clearer in later ramblings). Or another answer I have used is "Well someone had to try and balance out the numbers of you lot going to Britain!!!. 

At least now I have a new answer....…………...….....BRITAIN????? WHY BRITAIN??????

{I am, of course, hinting here at the national embarrassment of the debacle of Brexit and when I first tried to compose this introductory page it became a rant about my true feelings about this shameful waste of time that the UK has put itself through and it will take many many years for Britain to recover from the total loss of respect that is the result. Britain has become a laughing stock around the world...…………………………………………………….. After a calming beer and a cigarette though I threw my soap box onto the pile for firewood and decided to leave well alone...…...for now}


Alison has had Permanent Residency of Romania for a number of years and now I have that honour too. The natural next step is Citizenship which we both greatly desire, but I have to learn a lot more of the Romanian language, learn all about its' rich history and also every one of the eleven verses of the National Anthem! 


Enough of a re-introduction, better get on with it.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think, it's always good to get feedback